Diploma of Pharmacy Assistant
Pharmacy Assistant program is designed to train students to work in the community drug store and hospital drug store. This diploma program covers a broad range of subjects. The students will learn Pharmacy Assistant practices, basic pharmacology and drug and medical terminology. They also explore pharmacy computer systems, hospital and community pharmacy practices and procedures, drug dosage calculations, and compounding labs. Following theory study the students will co-op in the community drug store.
After finish of this program individuals will achieve competency in the skills and theoretical knowledge necessary to enter the Pharmacy environment as a Pharmacy Assistant.
34 weeks Instructor-led full time training,
Contact hour: 900 hours
Applicant must have Grade 12 level or a university degree or a Science college diploma and demonstrated competency in English.
List of subjects
It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that program requirements and subject prerequisites are met. Prerequisites are included for student’s academic protection.
Diploma is issued after the completion of program.
Occupation NOC Code
Pharmacy Assistant(3414), this is an occupation under Skills Matrix B in the NOC code
• Community drug store;
• Hospital drug store;
• Nursing homes;
Job Title• Pharmacy Assistant
Duties and Responsibilities
• Preparing medication for dispensing;
• Compounding pharmaceuticals;
• Preparing aseptic products;
• Inventory control;
• Purchasing; merchandising;
• Record keeping as required under such acts as the Food and Drugs Act;
• Narcotics control;
• Drug distribution;;
• Pre-packing pharmaceuticals;
• Computer processing
Skills Required (Employer Requirements)
• Read authentic prescription
• Entering, filling, cashing out prescription with ease
• Handling pharmacy work flow
• Communicate with other health care providers
• Demonstrated excellent customer service skills
• Maintenance of pharmacy stock through inventory control systems